Re: [tlug] Printers for linux, was: refurbished Thinkpad X60 with Coreboot & Linux

Benjamin Tayehanpour writes:

 > I don't really know what to say. CUPS has never failed me,

Good for you.  However, CUPS has failed me on multiple occasions, in
several ways (from not supplying drivers easily available from the
manufacturer to shadowing usable drivers with unusable ones to not
starting to not building to not running filters (eg, Ghostscript) to
... well, by now you have the picture), on every platform I print
from, except ... (wait for it ...) MAC OS X!  Hm ....

 > A compatible printer isn't necessarily more expensive, you just
 > have to learn to select a printer for purchase by a less arbitrary
 > method.

I know how to do that.  I can't afford the time to teach my children
economics and printers too, unfortunately, and I'm paid to do the
former.

The problem with CUPS is that it's very poorly documented, so if
something goes wrong, you might as well be using Windows.  If it
doesn't work ... restart the daemon.  If that doesn't help ... reboot.
If that doesn't help ... reinstall.  If that doesn't help ... revert
to older version from backup.

So I take the easy way out ... and let them use Windows. :-(