Re: [tlug] refurbished Thinkpad X60 with Coreboot & Linux

On 12/24/2013 11:59 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
"Cheap garbage" *should* work.  Some of us can afford to buy better
stuff, but our students and friends who work for NPOs can't.

If you turn left when driving out of your campus at the 大学公園南交差点 and head on down to the local-to-you shiny new COSTCO, they've got about five different HP printer models at extremely attractive prices, about 20 meters inside the front door on the left hand side (moved behind the Google Nexus display). I recently acquired an Officejet All-in-One 7500A, which prints up to A3 and faxes up to B4 in color or B&W for under JPY 18,000. That was the expensive one. But, I got to retire my aging external fax server and the fax drivers that I'd been keeping taped together with the Linux equivalent of yellowed cellophane tape. The two elderly amakudari clients I mainly keep a fax for are in love with the clarity. I _did_ have to backup HPLIP to around v.3.02.x and walk it back up to the latest version, which was a PITA.

BTW, is the Indian restaurant (Jewel of India?) at the above-named intersection any good?

--
CL