[tlug] Microsoft Executive to Oversee Health Website

steve writes:
 > This could be interesting...
 >
 > http://swampland.time.com/2013/12/17/obama-taps-microsoft-exec-to-run-healthcare-website/

<snort />

Band-aid on a compound fracture.  Here's what Bill Gates says:

    “Working with Kurt over many years, I know him to be a passionate
    advocate for using technology to solve difficult problems at
    scale.  He brings deep expertise as a manager and engineer to his
    new responsibilities.”

Here's what David Smith-Uchida says:

    My opinion on it has always been (and continues to be, even though
    I'm now a parent of two children) that if your kids aren't going
    to obey you, technological solutions are a losing battle.

David's right, Bill's wrong. ;-)  From what I've seen about that
website, they have an unclear requirements problem compounded by a
lack of standards problem.

"Kurt" may very well be able to do something, but the fix isn't going
to be web technology.  It's going to be brow-beating the industry
surrounding the website into adopting standards for for communication
and internal operations.  *That's* why dragging in a Microsoft exec
makes sense.  Now, if only we can keep Congress out of it....