Re: [tlug] OT: Buffalo AirStation config

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Benjamin Tayehanpour
<benjamin@example.com> wrote:
> On 17 December 2013 11:02, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>> Here is a crude version:
>>   LAN tab of the config, uncheck DHCP, click 設定, then restart the router.
>>
>> This effectively shuts down wifi, but still allows me to work, as I have
>> a wired connection. To restore things:
>>   LAN tab, check DHCP, click 設定. (NB. no need to cycle the power)
>
> That just disables DHCP. What keeps a wifi client from continuing to
> use the lease it's already been given, as per the policy of some DHCP
> client daemons when no DHCP offer is received?

+1
And better to set yourself in a static zone, leave kids/guests with DHCP.

> Or, more to the point, what keeps a wifi user from simply setting a
> static IP? I imagine your method would keep smaller children out, but
> a teenager (or at least the teenager child of a proud Linux-using
> parent!) would figure that one out in about a day or so.

And from there to MAC spoofing is just a step. Guess what, such kids
will prefer to hack a neighbor's WiFi, if they fear monitoring...

Talk to your kinds, punish them occasionally when caught redhanded.
My older one is just 3, so far I am managing it, but I suspect tough
years are looming ...

Kalin.