Re: [tlug] linuxdevices for display on a tv

On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 10:20:23PM +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
> > I recently installed Fedora+XMBC on a Thinkpad x200 with docking
> > station - just to find out that this hardware does not transport
> > audio over the displayport.  Via a displayport->hdmi converter I
> > wanted to connect this to a TV.  Missing audio, this combination
> > will not work out for me.
> >
> Hmm, how did you find out?

I know that the displayport->hdmi adapter is working, since I get
audio output using the displayport of the Thinkpad T510 here.
So using the same Fedora version, comparing modules, playing with
different output options in pavucontrol, different output programs
(vlc, xbmc) and a XBMC live distro..
No output on hdmi.

> Which docking station (link to specs)?

Lenovo x200 UltraBase 44C0554
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-70300

> It is true that some hardware is crippled, but also some converters
> are simply omitting the audio.

Yes, I was very surprised to see that the hardware here does not
offer that HDMI actually could offer, lenovo-- .
http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/293049-displayport-adapter-displayport-dvi-displayport-hdmi.html

> The whole enchilada of video/audio links (DVI/HDMI/DP) and all their
> versions and revisions is one of the biggest standard messes around.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Indeed.  When no TV are involved I still prefer DVI, atleast
no power is wasted there for any encryption stuff.

> BTW, consider the analog way if you are feeding the audio into a TV
> (=stereo): just add an extra cable from the sound card to the video in
> of the TV (some have special input next to the HDMI for that purpose).

Good thinking, but the LG here has no 3.5inch analog input.

Christian