Re: [tlug] nihongo nyuuryoku for a gaijin

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:17:02PM -0500, Bud Roth wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I'm a US cit about to move (back) to Japan after about 20 years. I'm a
> hardcore linux enthusiast.  I've bounced around distros, but generally
> do all my home computing on Linux or FreeBSD.
>
> One thing that I'm unfamiliar with is nihongo input on a linux system.
> I've got Japanese on my work laptop working, but was wondering if
> someone might have some pointers on what the best input system is for
> inputting Japanese with an American standard keyboard.  (FYI, I've got
> Ubuntu and Linux Mint desktops right now.)

With both Ubuntu and Mint, it's pretty easy.  You will use ibus-anthy.  (In
Fedora, they're replacing anthy with mozc, but I don't believe that's in
Ubuntu yet.)

In FreeBSD, I believe it's also ibus-anthy, but I haven't used Japanese on
FreeBSD in several years.

Long ago, I put up a page about the whole thing at
http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html

However, it's almost certainly out of date with Ubuntu, and actually,
Japanese input has become so trivial on most distributions these days that
I no longer keep it updated.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6