Re: [tlug] SSD caching of 10x 10GB files on slow NAS

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM,  <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:57:55 +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
>
>> 960GB SSD with 1.5GB/s R/W
>
> 1.5 Gigabytes/s is smoking! Did you mean 1.5 Gigabits/s?

Yes, it is smoking:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-revodrive-3-x2-pci-express-ssd.html
1.5GB/s read, 1.3GB/s write, 230k iops

So, 960GB drive is read into /dev/null in about 11 minutes (I'll try
if this is true one of these days, haven't had time to do much
performance testing, it is faster than I can "handle" now).

Was about 10man ($1K), but now prices have gone up.
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000269473/pricehistory/
When it comes down in price I'll get another one and try to RAID0 them.

Actually, there is no official Linux support for that drive (only for
enterprise ones), but it can be made to work with a marvel driver
(sorry, drive/box is not here) and is seen as 4 drives which are
further used as a single dmraid array.

1.5Gbps is roughly 190MB/s which a pair of black WesternDigital drives
(WD2002FAEX) can do in RAID0, or a 4-disk RAID5 of the same.

Cheers,
Kalin.