Re: [tlug] SSD caching of 10x 10GB files on slow NAS

On 2012-12-28 10:10 +0900 (Fri), Miles Colman wrote:

> ...to make loading 10 GB files from a slow NAS (where the files
> live) snappy for about 5 users at once. I'm guessing this would be
> simple if the NAS were actually just a 2 TB drive installed in a
> rackmount server with an open drive bay, and adding the SSD just meant
> connecting it.

I don't know if you realize this, but you have restated your problem
from "I'd like these files to load fast for the user" to "I'd like to
move these files into the serer's RAM just a little more quickly, or
have the server do random access operations on these files a lot more
quickly."

If you don't realize you've done this, you want to step back and just
give us a summary of everything between the drive in question and the
user, what application the user is using, and what's painful about the
user's experience, so that we can help you find out where the bottleneck
is.

Applying a good solution to the wrong part of the problem (e.g.,
doubling the speed of a component that is slowing you down by only 1%)
won't make any perceptable difference to the real problem. Unless you've
confirmed that the problem is indeed where you implicitly stated where
it was above, it could well be that your server is fine and you need
make no changes there at all.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974