Re: [tlug] Multi-OS videoconferencing

Pier Fumagalli <pier@example.com> wrote:
> Have you tried Google Hangouts?

I had never heard of it. I will check it out. Thanks to all who made the
suggestions.

Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
> However the bigger thing holding me back is it needs Skype 5, and I've
> not heard good things about the new Linux version, so I'm sticking with
> skype (beta) 2.2.

I only use Skype because I have friends incapable of using anything else.
They don't know how to set things up on their computers and aren't
interested in learning. Don't really blame them, though I could never
be comfortable handling it that way. So, I don't want to upgrade to Skype
Premium or any newer version of Skype either. So far, what I've experienced
of Skype for Linux is that they don't really put that much effort into it, and
it is a much lower quality program than their Windows offering.

Jim Tittsler <jwt-tlug@example.com> wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 05:53 PM, Darren Cook wrote:
> >> Have you tried Google Hangouts?
> >
> > Have you? Does it work well with three people on three different OSes?
>
> Yes, it has been excellent. The performance seems to equal or better
> Skype. And the ease of recording and app sharing is a plus for public
> hangouts.

Thanks, Jim. I will definitely check it out. I went to the Ekiga for Mac
page for my German friend and thought there was no way he would
get far enough to get it set up. This looks like a good recommendation.
I'll let you know our experience with it.

--Ralph