Re: [tlug] Tokyo ISP recommendations

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Charles Muller <cmuller-lst@example.com> wrote:
I'm moving out of my manshon where I've been for ten years (upstairs
neighbor noise problem) with built-in optical fiber. Most likely I'll be
renting an old apartment and will have to get either ADSL or hikari
fiber installed. Anyhow, I've been out of the ISP loop for a while, so
I'm just curious if any Tokyoites have strong recommendations for any
particular ISP. Prior to 10 years ago, I was using Global Online (one of
their first customers, actually), so I may well give them a call, but I
figured I'd check TLUG first to see if there is some excellent provider
out there that I should know about.

TIA,

Chuck

I think the choices may be limited to whoever has cabled to the building that you plan on getting a connection at. I'm not sure if this is 100% the case, but I'm quite sure you can often be limited to what the building owner has allowed from the local MDF that feeds the connection to the building.

This is what I think is the case, but perhaps someone else might have more details.

-Ross-

---------------------------
A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan