Re: [tlug] Fortran --> Python (was linux engineer)

2012/6/8 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:

> Josh Glover writes:
>
>  > I use the subway to get to work. Should I understand how electric
>  > trains work? Signalling? Tunnel construction?
>
> Attila's point, I suppose, is that you *do* understand, I suppose, far
> more than you need to get to work.

Sure, but I'm a geek.

I wouldn't cast aspersions on scientists who'd rather understand how
to use the tools they have to solve the problems they care about,
without possessing a deep understanding of how the low-level code
works.

I personally don't care at all about how Java technologies like Guice
and Tomcat work. I know how to use them, and if they're causing me
problems, I'll learn more, but I don't want to waste my time learning
that stuff when I can be hacking on Clojure instead. :)

Cheers,
Josh