Re: [tlug] Fortran --> Python [and R] (was linux engineer)

Darren Cook writes:

 > is important. R is widely used in the economics and finance areas. And R
 > appears to be *the* choice in biology and related sciences (but I'm not
 > in those areas, so I may have that wrong).

The most popular package for statistics support in Emacs is ESS (Emacs
Speaks Statistics), which supports R/S+, SAS, and a couple of others
actively.  FWIW, both of the maintainers for the last decade are
biology types.

As for economics and finance, the economists and finance people I know
don't program S+ or R, or TSP or Shazam for that matter.  They use the
GUI. ;-)