Re: [tlug] Making better use of SSDs?: Beware of Heavy Write Usage

Le 28/05/2012 11:25, Attila Kinali a écrit :
> If you really need SSDs with high life time, there are manufacturers
> who build SSDs with single level NAND Flash, that have a 100k cycle life time.
> But they are factor of >10 more expensive (factor 2-4 because of the more
> expensive flash chips, and another factor 2-10 because of the lower volumes).

As I remember, there was such a discussion here one year ago.

A major concern is an SSD can just die 'instantly', without approaching
its cycle life time. I've seen a customer with X25-M disks arrays having
dead SSDs after just one month and only few Gigabytes written/low write
ratio... and a high grade SLC PCIe card gone the same way.

The problem seems to be on how they use cells, not their type.
Intel & Crucial are both using micron flash memory for consumer drives,
and there's a reliability ratio of 1:5 between the two brands.

Francois