Re: [tlug] Desktop alternatives

On Mon, 28 May 2012 17:18:29 +0900
"Chris Worthington" <kurisu@example.com> wrote:

> > What happend to plain X11 without a desktop environment?
>
> That kind of went out in 1991 or so, didn't it? :)
> Actually, I ran X11 back in 2000 without a desktop environment. I can do
> more with one though than without one.

I havent figured out anything that needs a desktop enviroment that
i cannot do without. And at the same speed.

File manager? I'm fast enough with the shell (and actually faster
than anyone i know who uses a filemanager).
Network manager? Hell! NO! wicd is enough for those cases where i need
dynamic configurations.
Same look and feel for all apps? That's what we have gtk and qt for.
Everything controllable by key shortcuts? Gnome cannot do that.

So, anyone please tell me what for i would need a desktop environment?

			Attila Kinali
--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?