Re: [tlug] Classes

On Fri, 18 May 2012 14:30:38 +0900
Nick Bikkal <ipod.bikkal@example.com> wrote:

> Thank everyone for helping out with my Linux installments. Is there a
> place one can go to study Linux basics, like a course or something? I
> think it's worth investing some time learning this. What I've seen of it
> it's quite different from some of the experience I've had. I learned DOS
> quite well long ago but this seems to be a different animal.

Depends on what you want to learn.

For "how do i use a linux" there is still Maddogs "linux for dummies".
For "how do i administrate linux" i'd suggest to have a look at the
learning materials for the LPIC (www.lpi.org).

Of course, you should read and learn the manpages of bash (or your favorite
shell, be it csh, ksh or zsh), sed, awk, find, grep, sort, uniq,.....
and know them by heart..
These are the main tools with which you work every day....unless you prefere
to use only the GUI which is IMHO like putting a horse infront of a Porsche.

If you want learn programming a unixoid system, have a look at "Advanced
Programming in the UNIX Enviroment" and other books from Stevens. Those
tell you how the system works and what to look out for.

If you want to have low level understanding on how unixoid systems work,
get yourself a copy of Bach's "The Design of the Unix Operating System".
It explains how the original Unix system was designed and why the data
and functions are aranged in the way they currently are. Although modern
unix systems do not follow that approach anymore, the base concepts are
still the same.

As for courses... i don't know of any that are worth their money.
On the other hand, i've not been in any either. I used to give
talks on basic linux stuff at our local LUG, but that's about it.
Most of what i know i've learned by experimenting myself together
with a few friends and the rest i've learned by listening to talks
of other people at our LUG, at LinuxTag or FOSDEM.

HTH

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin