Re: [tlug] Classes

On 05/23/2012 11:39 AM, Jim Breen wrote:
On 23 May 2012 11:30, Simon Cozens<simon@example.com>  wrote:
On 20/05/2012 21:01, Josh Glover wrote:
Wow, TLUG has changed a lot in the 12 years I've been a member. I can only
imagine how the charter members feel...

Linux has changed a lot in the past twelve years, too. Now you don't actually
*have* to compile everything from scratch any more.

Eh? Since when did you "have" to do that? In the early
days, which was more than 12 years ago, we were using
precompiled distros. I never encountered complete
compilations until I went to a TLUG talk on Gentoo in
2002. It seemed very envelope-pushing.

I think the big difference is that there are now ways to easily, reliably compile things into a distribution. Most binary only distribution still can't do this.

Edward