Re: [tlug] A book to ebook shop?

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:

> For O'Reilly books you can register them and get the ebook for $4.99.
> The ebook will be a properly formatted PDF, of minimal size, with text
> *and source code* you can copy and paste, and no worries about OCR
> errors.

While Tim O does have his head on reasonably straight (not to mention
the signal honor of being called a "backslider," "parasite," and
"enemy of freedom" by RMS himself), you should also thank the authors
(whether published at O'Reilly or elsewhere), who by and large insist
on the right to benefit from and return the favor to the "many eyes,"
by maintaining open source versions on the web indefinitely after book
publication.

Note that you *must* read the license for the source code.  The
version I've seen is very liberal, and for all of the O'Reilly books
I've purchased recently commercial use of example code in new
applications is permitted.  But some activities are proscribed under
copyright (specifically, using the examples and text in competing
books is a no-brainer, right?)  There may be some problems with using
them in printed documentation, for example.