Re: [tlug] Linux with CUDA experiences? --> "Buyer beware"

Hi CL,

On Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:36 PM, CL wrote:
On 11/27/2011 11:39 AM, Raymond Wan wrote:

After some googling, it turns out that some computers, such
as my Dell, has both an Intel graphics card and an NVidia
one and the OS is suppose to auto-magically switch between
the two.  At this moment, Linux does not support this well.

Errr ... I am at a loss to picture what you're describing.

Are you saying that the mobo has both an Intel and an Nvidia graphics
chip?

Two PCI graphics cards? (in which case why not take a screwdriver to the
problem and remove one of the two cards?)

Sorry that I didn't make it clear. The computer in question [at least for me] is a laptop -- a Dell XPS 17; which otherwise is a nice computer. I presume it's the same with the other computers mentioned in that thread; otherwise, as you say, why not just remove the card...

The two Gigabyte mobos are both supposed to switch automatically but I
hard set video to the PCI card during setup.  Does your BIOS offer a

three-way switch option (motherboard / PCI card / Auto)?  Can you switch it?

Honestly, I don't understand what is so special about the configuration so that I would have this problem as well as many others [that isn't the first thread I've seen]. Based on past threads I've read [whose link I've forgotten], Windows switches between them seamlessly, but Linux does not yet.

There is some progress made, as mentioned in the link I posted, but still not quite there yet.

Getting the Intel card working is fine with Ubuntu -- happens by default. Getting the NVidia working just gives me black screens.

Hmmmmm, I haven't looked at BIOS yet -- I'll reboot tonight and let you know if I succeed...

Ray