Re: [tlug] Run rsync based on time difference between local file and server file

On 11/11/2011 06:49 PM, Bruno Raoult wrote:

I don't understand the question... Just run your usual rsync script,
it should just work...
Time is *not* localtime in Unix/Linux systems, but UTC...

Therefore, if your machines are quite correctly time-synced, it will
just work...

I know my explanation was somewhat lacking in clarity.

Let's say I spend the day working at my office. Before I leave my office, the last thing I do with my office machine is back up to the server, going upward with an array of rsync scripts. (Of course, this only covers the files that are in common on both systems--mostly work data, app data, and mail. I know not to rsync machine-specific settings files.)

Then, when I get home, if I'm going to do a little bit more work that evening, I run a downward array of rsync scripts to my local machine. I do it this way so that I don't have to always carry a USB stick or drive back and forth. (Rsync seems to trash my flash drives for some reason anyhow)

No problem with the server solution. But sometimes if I space out, I begin working at my home machine, having forgotten to do the downward rsync, which can create some minor headaches.

But I wouldn't want to solve this by having the download scripts run automatically at every startup, because I start up the machine many other occasions besides the times when I just get home from work. This would be a waste of time. and some newer files that I have created might be deleted inadvertently.

So I was thinking I could create a short script that runs at startup that would test as to whether a download (or an upload) is called for.

But I forget about the UTC issue--that's a good point.

Well, this is not a big deal--just me becoming lazier and lazier I suppose...

Chuck

--
-------------------

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan

http://www.acmuller.net