Re: [tlug] Computer won't boot after upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 [SOLVED]

On 10/15/2011 04:35 PM, Martin G wrote:

2. The problem was with NVIDIA. First, I had to delete
/etc/X11/xorg.conf. As far as I know, xorg.conf hasn't been in use
since something like 9.04, so I don't know where this new one came
from.  Then I had to completely dump all the installed drivers and
reinstall them. The key, apparently, is to only have the
nvidia-current drivers, and no others, as they cause trouble.

Maybe 3~4 weeks ago, my Xubuntu (XFCE) and Kubuntu (KDE) machines both received a file from their respective Update programs that did a search and destroy on all out-of-date Nvidia drivers and left only one current one. I routinely clean out drivers that are no longer current so there was nothing for the program to find.

You didn't receive it?