[tlug] Why am I not seeing Japanese in my web page on my Android?

TLUG,

I've made an HTML page with some Javascript that passes some JSON data
back and forth to the server.

One of the things it passes back and forth is the user's display name.
Just a simple text string in utf-8.

For one of my test users, I set the name to be 恵比寿.

On my desktop and laptop, it displays fine, so I'm pretty sure the
JSON, Javascript, PHP, MySQL, and HTML are passing around and storting
the string in the right encoding.

However, on my Galaxy S 2 Android device (running Android 2.3, I
think), the name 恵比寿 displays like this:

u6075u6bd4u5bff

It seems really odd to me that Japanese wouldn't display correctly on
my phone when it works on other devices, especially since my phone is
a Japanese model that has no trouble with Japanese in almost every
other context I can think of.

Any ideas why the phone would object to the Japanese characters?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G