Re: [tlug] How to make a current running kanji compound list from the news

Hi Dave.

Firstly, this is probably something which has been achieved by someone else already. But I admit even with my interest in these matters I can't find a recent paper or likewise with the data. As for it being a powerful learning aid ... well, just the data isn't going to help. When I do similar projects myself, I tend to acquire ten times the amount of new programming knowledge than japanese vocab and grammar.

Steps 3, 4, and 5 are quite possible, accepting that you will only get, say, 97% accuracy with natural japanese language parsing. I do similar things already within the Chrome version of the Furigana Injector browser extension I developed.

Step 3 involves parsing the text into separate morphemes, which I'd recommend Mecab for, then in your case you'd discard non-compound words out of all those tokens. I expect the python wrappers for Mecab will be a good choice. I use the C API myself though so I can't confirm that they really work.

For step 4, yes, WWWJDIC can be accessed via CGI or you can load the dictionary files yourself. There are some hassles here regarding what to do if more than a single match is found, or no exact match is found because some entry keys are concatenations of all the possible writings (e.g. "広い(P); 弘い; 廣い; 宏い". Also, if there are truly no hits in EDICT and then as a second step try the 'ALL' dictionary (a.k.a. "combined jpn-eng") which combines EDICT, ENAMDICT, LifeSciences dict, Finance dict, etc.

As for Step 5 ... occasionally compounds have multiple readings, so there's not a one-to-one relationship. E.g. "何奴 【どいつ; どちつ; どやつ】 ". WWWJDIC semi-colon-concatenates them as you see.

I have no experience with web-spidering, so I can't say anything about Steps 1 and 2.

Regards,

Akira