Re: [tlug] vmware, linux, snapshots

On 2011/05/16, at 13:56, Darren Cook wrote:

> One of my clients is using vmware to run quite a few virtual servers,
> mostly windows. They apparently don't have the more expensive license
> that allows "hot snapshots" (which would allow moving a virtual server
> from say one physical machine to another in a matter of minutes).
> Instead they can take a snapshot once a week, and it is quite a slow
> process. But, apparently, they cannot do even this for linux.
>
> For this particular linux server they are setting up, there will be the
> actual server, and then another server with the same spec that won't be
> used, it just exists to take over if the first one goes down.
>
> Are there any good vmware options here? Or is running rsync regularly,
> to copy from main to backup server, the best choice?
>
> Darren
>
> --
> Darren Cook, Software Researcher/Developer
>
> http://dcook.org/work/ (About me and my work)
> http://dcook.org/blogs.html (My blogs and articles)
>
> --
> ASAHI Net.
> Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/

Darren,

I have asked the same questions from my friend in Serbia.
I now checking the best way for backup without expensive licenses.

You know "VMotion" is the best way to backup VMs.but it needs VCenter Server and shared disks by ESXis.
and more it is not free and more needs Windows 2008 Server and SQL Server - so expensive.

Checking the way without some costs,we can use SSH for ESXi so we cant do some script with scp command from the continuous backup.
Or it will cost a bit though QNAP NAS - very cheap but useful - has a solution for it..

At my home I have two ESXi (one is Core i5 sandy bridge based and another running on laptops using Core2 duo (old one)).
I sometimes use the VMware Converter Standalone to backup from one to another.it is free.

Cheers.

-masafumi

Masafumi Ohta
a Leader of Tokyo OpenSolaris User Group
VCP4.0(VMware Certificated Professional)
mailto:masafumi.ohta@example.com
http://www.twitter.com/masafumi_ohta