Re: [tlug] How much of radiations measured in Central Tokyo?

>> Here's one that looks likely to be accurate. They have stopped
>> updating it today though, but have plans to do it again tomorrow:
>> http://www.aist.go.jp/taisaku/ja/measurement/
>>
>> I'm not really sure what to do with this data besides worry about it though.
>
> Thanks for the link!  I'm no expert in neither this nor the Japanese
> language but the units in this table is all micro-sievert.  On the
> news just now, the radiation levels near the site were reported as
> milli-sievert.  So, where this data is collected (Tsukuba) is clearly
> much better off than the site.  Looking at Wikipedia (which yes, is
> perhaps not the most reliable information source), it gives a list of
> benchmarks for one-off incidents like a chest x-ray (0.04
> milli-sievert).
>
> With zero knowledge on my part, it seems like if this happened for
> just one day, we could probably offset it by having one less chest
> x-ray or not taking that European/North American flight we had
> planned.  I suppose if they fix the problem, we ought to be ok.  The
> worry is just if they can't fix it and the numbers get higher from now
> on...
>
> Based on what I've seen in English news and understood in Japanese
> news, it seems like the radiation went up in the morning at around 6
> am when that explosion occurred.  Things seemed to have gone down
> since.  I forgot what was the number recorded this morning; the news
> mentioned it for Shinjuku, Chiba, Utsunomiya, and a few other places
> around Kanto.

The direction of the winds is an important factor.

According to the weather forecasts I've seen, it looks like the wind is
going to blow mainly in the right direction (to the ocean) in the coming
days.

Take care, Everyone. We are all thinking about you.

Sylvain