Re: [tlug] iTunes replacement

Jean-Christian Imbeault kirjoitti 10.3.2011 kello 15.11:
> Could anyone recommend an alternative to iTunes for my mac? Hopefully
> something I can also use to synch music to my iPhone.

Hi JC,

That depends on what you actually want to do.
AFAIK, there is no replacement for iTunes that would do the
things iTunes does (such as (mis)manage your i-devices, download & stream etc from the app store).

There are many music players available, though.
I use mpg321, mostly to stream radio. But it's not for everyone.

> I tried to move my iTunes music library to external HDD and have now
> entered iTunes music Library hell. I've spent 3 evenings trying to
> recover and have now decided to cut my loses and give up.

I feel your pain.

iTunes splits things in two, the database and the actual media files.
You can have the media files anywhere, but the database is always in ~/Music/iTunes Library

I think copying iTunes/iPhoto stuff needs to be handled on the command line.
What has worked for me is to manually copy ~/Music/iTunes Media like

 rsync -a /Users/hs/Music/iTunes\ Media/ /Volumes/BIGEXTERNALDISK/backup/

Then move the library file away and reimport this whole folder in iTunes.
You can keep the media organized in one folder by checking that preference in iTunes.

HTH,
Henri