[tlug] [Javascript] enabling/disabling buttons: Japanese text and enter buttons

Dave M G writes:

 > 1.
 > When entering Japanese text (I'm testing on Ubuntu/Firefox with
 > Anthy/UIM input), no amount of typing activates the button. If I switch
 > back to English, type in at least one character, then it will check and
 > validate the Japanese text. It seems as though Japanese input does not
 > trigger onKeyup() or onChange() events.

That seems very likely.  The way that Japanese input works, the key
events are gobbled by the input method and Firefox will never see
them.  This is probably a good thing, since key events mean something
very different while the input method is active from what they mean
when they simply generate characters to enter in the text box one
character per keystroke.

I'm surprised that onChange() doesn't detect the addition of the text
to the box though.  That sounds like a Firefox bug.

 > 2.
 > When the button is disabled, if I press "enter" on the keyboard, the
 > button's "onclick" action gets triggered. That shouldn't happen, should it?

No.  Since you're seeing weirdness in two places, I wonder if you
haven't inadvertantly been operating on an object that isn't the
button you want?