Re: [tlug] Importing WiFi equipment

Le mercredi 9 février 2011, Shmuel Fomberg a écrit :
> > While the frequency range allocated by the government in Japan is the
> > same as other countries, Japan utilizes a 14-channel model, while in
> > North America, only channels 1-12 are used.
>
> Say, does a standard European laptop can handle this channel 14?
>
> Shmuel.

That's why regulatory domains have been recently introduced.
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Regulatory

The old way was to hardcode, for the target country, frequencies in firmware.
So it depends on your driver and the way it uses (or not) the linux 802.11
stack.

I doubt customs would ever check a personal device for frequencies as they
also would have to check/block any computer/phone/camera with a wifi stack
able to switch to adhoc or ap mode. And as mentioned earlier, frequency range
isn't a problem in Japan for 2.4GHz devices (but nobody spoke about tx
power!).

Francois