Re: [tlug] Great Git resources

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:50, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:

> I hope this doesn't start a flame war :-), but in your own
> words, can you explain why you are using Git as opposed to
> (say) Subversion?

Sure, I'll admit up front though that I'm by no means a subversion or
git expert so take my reasons with a grain of salt, as there may be
perfectly good ways to do what I'm doing with git, with svn. I'm a
sys/storage admin so I have some pretty simple use cases for revision
control.

Here are two that come to me off the top of my head:

* Revision control of my scripts, diagrams, txt how-to docs, etc...
    I find git easier than subversion for this because it maintains
the repository directly in the working directory. I always found
having the repository somewhere else and needing to check it out into
another dir to be a pain. When ever I'd restructure my directory
structure I'd have to fix the references to where the repository was
on the filesystem. Granted this is a fairly simplistic reason but I
just find git easier to maintain across OS upgrades, filesystem
restructuring, etc.... I also really enjoy it's ability to create new
branches in-place, to test out new features, etc...

* Revision control of server configuration files:
    Another use case I have for git is to maintain server
configuration files over a cluster of systems. As you might expect the
systems have identical configuration files. I like using git to
maintain the config files because I can have full versions of the
repository on each cluster node and at any given time I can commit to
any of the repositories and then replicate those commits to the other
nodes. I prefer this over the subversion model where you have one
repository somewhere and you're relying on that one node always being
available.

As I said, I'm not a svn or git pro by any stretch of the imagination,
but I've just found the decentralized model to make more sense and fit
into my workflow model much easier.

--
Romeo Theriault