Re: [tlug] Remote desktop viewer not connecting

Dave,

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 01:04:15PM +0900, Dave M G wrote:

> Seems I didn't, and don't, have a VNC server running. Neither "ps -ef |
> grep -i vnc" nor "netstat -ntlp" came back with anything indicating that
> it is up and running.

You should just look for the service beeing offered network-wise.
The 'Remote Desktop' thing is as i see it offering your already running
screen via vnc, running vncserver would ofcourse also work, both of
your would then need to connect to that vncserver.

> Which is weird, since I'm running the Remote Desktop guy from
> System->Preferences, and the GUI there says I have started the remote
> desktop server and that my computer is ready to accept connections. If
> that is running, but no VNC server is, then what the heck does that GUI
> think it's doing?

You could either continue looking into running a separate vncserver,
or debug why the menu-entry is no longer offering your screen via
vnc-service (so after running the menu-entry nothing is listening at
580* and 590*).
To follow on the second option the get back your old behaviour one
could investigate if/what logfiles are used to comment on whats
happening.  Also the command hiding behind the menu-entry could be
found out, running the command directly from a terminal could show
useful output.

> So I tried running vncserver from the command line, and made sure it was
> running:
> $ netstat -ntlp
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6001            0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      15966/Xtightvnc
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5801            0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      15966/Xtightvnc
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5901            0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      15966/Xtightvnc
> ... but, I still get the same refusal from the client side (even with
> Firewall turned off on server side).

Following the vncserver-way or getting your old way working again
you have to end up with network-services listening like above.

If you are sure the service is listening you can try to connect to
it with a vncviewer, or just try to establish a tcp-channel:

  $ nc myip 5901
  RFB 003.008

Here just staying on the local computer a tcp-channel was established
and greeting from the service is presented.
Does this work from the local computer?  Does this work from the
remote computer?  If it just doesnt work from the remote box more
debugging like 'firewall', 'missing routing', 'missing forwarding'
or such should be investigated.

> What service should the Remote Desktop be running, and how can I verify
> that it is?

The vncviewer can be used to verify this.  The verifications above
are on network-layer below vncviewer.
Pointing a webbrowser to i.e. http://yourip:5801 is also useful.

> Even if I've got a VNC server running, it seems I'm still refusing
> connections. Why is that?

If you got something listening on the vncports then you probably can
also use vncviewer or such to connect to that service.

Christian