Re: [tlug] MySQL not running... or is it? [SOLVED]

 Dikshie,

There were no logs related to MySQL, I'm guessing because MySQL never
started at all.

However, when poking around my my.cnf file (after a good night's sleep),
I had this vague recollection of some other Ubuntu-specific security
settings...

Long story short, turned out the bad actor was Apparmour, some kind of
security thing on Ubuntu. I don't know exactly what it's for, but when I
upgraded, a file called /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld was overwritten
with defaults, blowing away some edits I made long ago.

Restoring the Apparmour configuration, then restarting Apparmour, and
then MySQL seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their support and help.

--
Dave M G