Re: [tlug] Anti-virus software is a scam

Actually when you say "here are the files you can open on your
computer and YOU CAN NEVER GET A VIRUS FROM THEM. EVER. Image files
(.jpg, .png, .gif)" I think you missed out some of the wonderful flaws
of Windows:

See, for example here http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/965206

I know for sure that this method was used to circulate some trojan
horses (IOW, you visit a webpage, Internet Explorer crashed, boom,
you're infected).

There are a number of those: any time your browser, email client,
notepad, ... crashes "potentially" it opens up a bug that can be
exploited. And it's not only windows: recently a bug in the PDF
interpreter of the iPhone allowed people to execute arbitrary code on
the device (and hence, the remote jailbreaking "feature" of the phone
- but it could have been a virus, exploit, trojan, ...).

So, if one of those exploits is used to "inject" in a user's system a
known virus, here's when an Anti-Virus might come handy, as it'll be
able to recognize the bogus code pattern even if it doesn't know "how"
it got there...

     Pier