Re: [tlug] Removing CUPS from ubuntu

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 11:32:27AM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> I figured CUPS
> would be a great thing to remove since I never do any printer. However
> when I use the package manager to remove CUPS it informs me that
> ubuntu-desktop will also be removed. That can't be good ... (OK I know
> it's not a good thing because I blindly clicked OK and ended up with
> half a system and no GUI. Only cost me my morning fixing but hey, I
> learned something about clicking OK buttons :)
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Why the dependency?

Because it's a desktop distribution, aimed at a less experienced
audience, and like Windows and OS X believes that cute GUIs and
convenience are more important than control and security.  The majority
of distributions seem to be going in this direction, though perhaps that
is unfair, as it seems that 75-80 percent of them are offshoots of
Ubuntu.

On the other hand, I know of many people I consider veritable Unixgods
(I can think of 4 of them on this list) who have switched to Ubuntu,
because as they age, it's less fun to configure a system, and they want
to just throw something on and have it work.

> 2. How do I remove CUPS without removing ubuntu-desktop

Rather than remove it, I would just stop it from running.  I believe
that Ubuntu's desktop menus give you an option to choose what services
to run upon boot.   I would also guess there's probably a way to remove
it with the equivalent of rpm's --nodeps option, but the trouble with
that is that next time you upgrade, it will be installed again.

> 3. Is #2 a safe thing to do?

Well, doing it the way I suggest is safe.

> Ok, so that was 3 questions ...

"Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....
Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an
almost fanatical devotion to the Pope..  Our *four...no...*Amongst our
weapons...."

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6