[tlug] Testing Apache for gzip modules

TLUG,

I'm trying to set up my web sites to use gzip compression and expires headers.

Naturally, I'm trying to learn from searching the web for instructions on exactly how to do that.

I found code to add to my .htaccess file, but it doesn't seem to be working, so I think maybe my host server doesn't have the right Apache modules enabled.

I think I need modules called mod_gzip and mod_expires.

This is where I've hit a wall. I can't figure out what commands to issue to confirm the presence or absence of the right modules.

I figure it should be easy, but I've come up with nothing.

Can someone point me in the right direction? To confirm the modules and enable them if they're not present?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G