Re: [tlug] Network performance

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 20:57, Martin Ansat <martin_ansat@example.com> wrote:

> So far I tried the following:
>
> 1.  Tried to tune the TCP window Size and related TCP tunings
> 2.  Tried twiking various setting from different sources for switches on my network card. (like increasing MTU)
> 3. Tuned IO performance, thinking that the bottleneck could be there. (hdparm, blah, blah)
> 4. Tried different congestion control options in my kernel
> 5. Ensured that there was no throttling or any degradation due to iptables (tried even disabling the whole thing)
> 6. Ensured there where no conflicting services (turned down every possible service in order)

Have tried booting the system off of another distro's live cd (Fedora,
Ubuntu, etc...) to see what kind of download speeds you get from
those. I very highly doubt this is a general linux issue, more likely
an issue with something in your gentoo setup, but the live cd could
help prove this point.
Also, what software are you using to download on both OS's? what
protocol are you using? While this likely isn't a filesystem I/O issue
you could always try directing your download output to /dev/null to
see if that helps too.

--
Romeo Theriault