Re: [tlug] bash and grep and diff

 On 08/14/2010 09:35 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Fredric Fredricson writes:

  >  I guess the strength of git is the same as it's weakness, no
  >  central repository.  /Fredric

Why is a lack of a central repository a weakness?
Not a weakness for an open source project, but for commercial it might be.

There should never be a question on where the "original" is and all changes
need to be tracked, even those made to development branches that does not
go into the main codeline (each change is made for a reason and that should
be documented, checking in a bulk of changes and just calling it "new function X"
is not really professional).

I have used Perforce a lot and most of the things LT claims to be next to
impossible with all systems but git like creating and merging branches,
"diamond"-style merging (make two branches, make changes, and merge
these two branches to a third branch, that later will bet merged with main)
is easy and fast (perforce helps you a lot). I would say that in part LT
argues from ignorance.
On the other hand, I do not think perforce can do the things an open
source project need, like let somebody out there pick up the code, add some
unsolicited new feature and send you the changes. But this is NOT
something you want to see in commercial development anyway.

/Fredric

begin:vcard
fn:Fredric Fredricson
n:Fredricson;Fredric