Re: [tlug] New Kindle

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Dan Burrowes <danburrowes@example.com> wrote:

Other major drawback for me is that the Kindle does NOT support East
Asian languages including Japanese.  Text is rendered as moji-bake
unless a PDF has been created via the "text-as-images" method, even so,
however, the rendering is not good enough for kanji to be legible.
Also, God help you if you should be trying to read a PDF with font sizes
set at 9pt or less (company annual reports, etc...).  I've seen images
of the ASUS model rendering legible Chinese, so I'm hoping that Japanese
will be possible as well.

Asian characters are purportedly supported in newly release Kindle..

http://ireaderreview.com/2010/07/28/kindle-3-cjk-japanese-chinese-korean-cyrillic-fonts-supported/

Sony Readers also pretty much support any encoding for which you can provide a truetype font (i've got Japanese files on mine, other languages as well).  PDF reflow is usable for documents without too many charts and graphs.

--craig