Re: [tlug] Scanner is driving me nuts

>can't run the scanner .... Get a message that says "Failed
>to open device 'brother3:bus8;dev2': Invalid argument."

Update: Still having the same problem _except_ when I
open GIMP as super user. Then I can scan.

Brother has instructions for changing settings so scans can
be made by "normal user".
Ubuntu 9.10, 10.04
1. Open "/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules" file.
2.Add the following two lines to the end of the
device list. (Before the line "# The following rule
will disable ..."):

The lines to be added---------------------------
# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
3. Restart the OS.
I opened the 40-libsane.rules file with sudo, and added
the lines as instructed. Unfortunately, this has no affect on
the "normal user". I wonder if the lines at the very top of this
file cause those two lines to be by-passed? They are:

ACTION!="add", GOTO="libsane_rules_end"
ENV{DEVTYPE}!="usb_device", GOTO="libsane_rules_end"

Since the device type is usb device, does this mean that those
extra lines are by-passed? the rules end is right after the
#Brother scanners lines I added as instructed. It reads as:

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# The following rule will disable USB autosuspend for the device
ENV{libsane_matched}=="yes", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'test -e /sys/
$env{DEVPATH}/power/level && echo on > /sys/$env{DEVPATH}
/power/level'"
LABEL="libsane_rules_end"

Since I am not a programmer, I have no idea about what all
this means.

Thanks for any suggestions.
--Ralph