[tlug] Scanner is driving me nuts

My HDD went south. Had to pull it and stick in a new one that
I got from Yodobashi. No problems. Everything is backed up,
what could possibly go wrong.

I swapped the drive and re-installed Ubuntu 10.04, but the
scanner is a no-go.

I remembered having problems with the scanner that I asked
the group about the first time I set it up and see that installing
the SANE dependencies cleared that up. Not this time. I can't
run the scanner from any app. Get a message that says "Failed
to open device 'brother3:bus8;dev2': Invalid argument." As
before, the printer works fine.

Any ideas what I could try?

Thanks!
--Ralph