Re: [tlug] Dead Compact Flash (32GB)

2010/6/6 Raedwolf Summoner <rarooam@example.com>

> Don't remember exactly how it happened. I was transferring
> some files to the 32 GB CF thing and decided I didn't have
> time to wait for it. Stopped (?) the process and removed
> the CF chip. (I don't remember "how" I stopped the process.
> I think I clicked "cancel" but I may have just closed the
> file browser, in which case I understand _why_ this would
> happen, but not why it can't be fixed.)

So you are using some GUI to manage your CF card?
What is the name of the file manager, distro you are using?

The way I use CF card (via a card reader) and other FAT32-based
storage device is (quite old-fashioned):

0. Open a terminal
1. Disable automount
2. Plug the device
3. mount it
4. Copy/edit etc over to device
5. unmount (it would take a while depends on the amount of data to be written)

This way, I am able to control what I am doing and what if something goes wrong.
Never had a single problem so far.

> Any way of reviving this?
I suggest fsck.vfat.

> I had just bought it, and believe me,
Most of the CF has lifetime guarantee.

> these things are not cheap. I hate the thought of throwing
> away what that thing cost.
Do you shoot sports?

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu [aka: NVH] ( in Vietnamese: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )