Re: [tlug] VRML model: superceded by X3D?

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 5:02 AM, Lewske Wada <ryu@example.com> wrote:
> jep200404 wrote :
>> Lewske Wada wrote:
>> > VRML is again the next generation lang for rendering the web.
>>
>> The Wikipedia entry says that VRML has been superceded by X3D.
>> What do you say about comparing them?

x3d is just vmlr in xml-format. The semantics are mostly the same.

> It's true now we have X3D to adapt to XML type.
> However, for historical reason some implementors stick to
> traditional VRML formats and indeed it's simple for beginners
> to write in VRML style.
> Wikipedia in Japan says that it will need some more time
> for X3D to flourish in the world.  As of now only a few editors
> have implemented this format including Blender.

I like the scene-graph model of vrml/x3d but I don't think this format
has a future. There are only a hand-full of browser plugin
implementations, and several of them are either incomplete or poorly
maintained. If I were to do something new with 3D on the net I'd have
a look at O3D from Google or perhaps something like Unity3D. Java
applets or JavaFX with J3D is another option but J3D is also poorly
maintained, and who knows what Oracle will do with this?

/Johan