[tlug] Sudden Certificates Problem

At the same time I upgraded Xubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 on my 64-bit box, I began having a lot of trouble with sites I'd been visiting regularly being blocked by Firefox. The usual message is that the site security certificates have expired ... with a warning that my connection may have been taken over. There are quite a lot of them, particularly offshore ones including Yahoo and Google.

I am experiencing the same issue in the WIN version of Firefox running in a VirtualBox on the same hardware.

I have tested extensively but find no reason to believe that my machine has been compromised ... assuming I am asking the right questions and looking for the right things.

I do not see the problem in the x86 torrenting machine running on a separate connection (separate wiring, different phone number, different cable, modem, and router), but I have not tested aggressively.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? Is this a result of a hacked machine or perhaps the recent upgrading of the WWW (can't find the reference offhand so this may seem bizarre if I have used the incorrect terms as expected). Any suggestions on what other questions to ask?

--
CL