Re: [tlug] can anyone help ..I need to repair my grub ...

@Prasad
Thanks, will try doing from windows recovery CD now, but will that erase my existing files on linux ?
 --->
Nope. It will just set your MBR right. I guess you have installed Linux on a different drive (with "ext3" file system). Though the files won't be read from Windows after recovery, I feel that logically you can access them again by running Ubuntu Live CD.

I did not have any data on my Ubuntu when I installed it, so had not thought about this aspect when I set my MBR right. In any case, I think Linux is smarter than Windows and there has to be a provision to recover your files.

Regards,
Pra

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Edward Middleton <edward.middleton@example.com> wrote:
On 03/18/10 11:38, Deepika Ghuriani wrote:
> ... comp it didnt showed grub to select the OS from which i want to boot
> instead it showed-   grub rescue:>

Sorry I missed this the first time.  Its a bit hard to tell how badly
windows has messed things up.  If you look at the grub manual page[1]

> Stops at `grub>`
>
> Symptom(s):
>   * All I get is a grub prompt
>   * Welcome to GRUB!
>   * grub>
>   * grub rescue>
>
> Cause(s):
>   * GRUB 2 could not find a grub.cfg.
>   * The grub.cfg was completely unworkable.
>
> Solution(s):
>   * cat /grub/grub.cfg. If the word 'title' appears anywhere in the
>     stanzas, then someone copied a menu.cfg directly.
>   * Try some grub shell commands to see how the drive looks to GRUB
>     2, look at the configuration, find some file(s) that will boot.

So at least your grub.cfg file is damaged.  In the grub shell section[2]
of the manual it show

> grub-rescue>
> Useful tip: try to load normal mode: insmod /boot/grub/normal.mod
>
> After this command help will show normal as possible command. Try it.
> Normal mode will be loaded. Now try to load ls
> (insmod /boot/grub/ls.mod), help and so on.

Can you load normal mode?  From there it should be easier to tell how
bad things are.

Edward

1. http://grub.enbug.org/Manual#Panic!
2. http://grub.enbug.org/Manual#GrubShell