Re: [tlug] Changing a file server from XP to Ubuntu

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 20:53, Sach Jobb <sach@example.com> wrote:
It definitely is quite odd, but the executable bits (for user, group and others) actually map the three windows file/directory flags (Archive, System and Hidden).

See some doccos here to precisely understand what's mapped to where: http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_03.html

I (personally) tend to force resetting the "Hidden" flag from networked clients (not to get into the usual awkward situation of seeing the file from unix, but having it hidden in windows).

I've also noticed that some idiotic programs (some custom M$ Access development is what did it for me) rely on the archive flag to be there and have some issues if it's not set.

Ah.... that makes sense. Actually, it doesn't make any sense but it explains why samba uses 755 and 775 a lot in it's documentation.

It sounds like from the oreilly book that you have to choose which one you want (after all there is only one bit to explain three options). So for example as you were explaining with your M$ access db's, you would set the share to have 'map archive = yes' and force the mode to 775 or whatever?

Hmm... As far as I understood (and Figure 5.7 seems to confirm it), I think that by default the User Executable bit maps to the Windows"Archive" flag, the Group Executable bit maps to the "System" flag, and the Others Executable bit maps to the "Hidden" flag.

So, it seems to me you can use all three of them at the same time (I have no windows box around to test it, but IIRC it was using three bits for three flags).

As far as I know, the "map archive", "map system" and "map hidden" options are there so that if you share the same data between Unix and Windows, you don't end up having files magically disappearing or displaying an odd behavior (eg, executables in Unix showing up Hidden, as System files, or as Un-Archived on Windows).

Windows has some odd behavior specific to those flags: so far, this is the best explanation I found around.

    Pier