Re: [tlug] [OT] Subtracting two times in JavaScript

Dave M G wrote:
> All I'm trying to do is take two times, subtract one from the other, and
> get the difference back in hours and minutes (formatted like this - 0:00).
> when I expect the different to be about an hour (1:00), it comes out as 9:59.
>
> If anyone can, might they tell me why I'm not getting a correct hours
> and minutes difference between these two times.
>
> endTime = new Date(this.timeStamp);
> currTime = new Date();
> diff = new Date(endTime.getTime() - currTime.getTime());
> var hours = diff.getHours();
> var minutes = diff.getMinutes();
> if (minutes.length == 1)
> {
>     minutes = "0" + minutes;
> }
> remainTime = hours + ":" + minutes;
> return remainTime;
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.

Whenever you make difference of two different times,
you need to get everything in UTC as it tries to use the time
in default time zone (JST-9) if omitted, I think.
So you will probably want to :

endTime = new Date();
endTime.setHours(endTime.getHours() + 1);
currTime = new Date();
diff = new Date(endTime.getTime() - currTime.getTime());
var hours = diff.getUTCHours();
var minutes = diff.getUTCMinutes();
if (minutes.length == 1)
{