Re: [tlug] can anyone help ..I need to repair my grub ...

On 03/18/10 11:38, Deepika Ghuriani wrote:

> I have a dual boot on my system Windows (Vista + 7 ) preinstalled +
> Linux-Ubuntu (installed later by me)
> Last day when I tried starting Windows it gave some error and started
> system recovery after which i couldnt follow much as the instructions
> were in japanese. But at the end when i restarted my comp it didnt
> showed grub to select the OS from which i want to boot instead it
> showed-   grub rescue:> . I tried booting from Ubuntu CD but still it
> showed the same thing and was not reading the CD. I cant find any
> solution to it, can anyone help.

The windows 7 recovery process has overwritten your Master Boot Record
MBR[1].

What you need to do is.

1. Change the boot order in BIOS so the CD is booted before hard disk.
2. Reinstall grub bootloader into the MBR.

The are some instructions on how to do this with Ubuntu here[2].

Cheers,

Edward

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
2. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows