Re: [tlug] power adapters in Japan (and US)

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:57:35AM -0700, David J Iannucci wrote:

> > Googling indicated that she shouldn't need an adapter for her Aspire
> > One, which uses a standard 3 prong laptop adapter
>
> I assume that's a kind of laptop or netbook.  I'm surprised it has a
> 3-prong plug - most portable machines don't from what I've seen.

Most of the newer ones don't, (I think.)  Out of the three in our house,
my 2-1/2 year old has has a 3 prong, the AA1 that she has is a 3 prong
and my relatively new 1000HE is a 2 prong.

> > that she did need one, and purchased one when she arrived--apparently
> > paying close to $50 USD.
>
> Gack!  We're not talking a transformer here... just a plug
> adaptor, right?

I honestly don't know--I suspect it was a ripoff shop at the airport,
but we only spoke briefly this morning--and her skype microphone was set
really low, and I was rushing to work.

> > She says, however, that doesn't fit
>

> Good - maybe she can return it?

If an aiport ripoff shop, probably not, but who knows--hopefully they're
not as bad there.

> > If true, what sort of adapter should she get?
>
> I have a couple nice 3-to-2 adaptors for use in Japan... had
> circumstances allowed I woulda just loaded her one :-)  If she really
> has to pay 5000Y for these things, it'll be cheaper for you to buy one
> for $2 in NYC, stuff it in an overnight envelope and send it to her...

Again, I'm a bit hazy on details--so is the only issue that it's a 3
prong plug and that she needs a 2 prong there?  (I haven't been there in
a long time, and I don't remember what I had--I don't think we brought
any electrical appliances that time.)

So is that it then, just a 3 to 2 prong adapter?  I'm sure she can find
it cheaper where she is.  Probably went into the euquivalent of one of
these tourist traps on Broadway.

There is irony there--she knows better in NYC but not in her own
country.

Thanks for the input--heh, get it? Input?  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6