Re: [tlug] Mailing list web archives..... Is this leagal ?

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:46:48 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Tapas Chaturvedi writes:
>
>  > Today I was trying to find the solution for one of the issue. While
>  > googling I found the number of web sites maintaining same Mailing list
>  > web archives. My question is "Is this legal to maintain web archive of
>  > different mailing list/group which you are not owning ?"
>
> Technically, only if you have permission of all authors, which is kind
> of difficult to get.

Depends on the nature of the mailinglist. If it's clear that the
mailinglist is public, you cannot do much about mirrors as an simple
user. An admin might still insist that archives beside his are not
allowed due to control of privacy settings, but that's an other matter.

> On the other hand, unless you're doing it for
> money, the risk is that somebody will mail you and tell you to remove
> their post, and you have to do it.  Big deal.

You get those mails even if you dont do it for money. And quite a lot too.

>  > I am planning to start one archive site for all the famous gnu/Linux
>  > mailing lists.
>
> Doesn't that already exist, under the name "GMane"?

Doesn't that already exist, under thousands of names?

			Attila Kinali

--
If you want to walk fast, walk alone.
If you want to walk far, walk together.