Re: [tlug] Looking for Accounting software

Sorry I forgot to specify the purpose. I am mainly looking for SOHO business usage.

Stuart Luppescu wrote:
On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 17:20 +0530, Tapas Chaturvedi wrote:
Hi folks,

I am looking for any good/simple accounting software. I tried GNUCash,
but I feel its little bit complected  to use.

Can't tell if you're talking about personal accounting or business
accounting. If the latter:
I've been using sql-ledger (http://www.sql-ledger.com/) to run my
business for nearly 5 years. It has these advantages:
Sure I will try this. And I also found one...

http://gnukhata.gnulinux.in/

planning to try.
1) Open source, uses postgres backend
2) Has web front end, so can access the data from anywhere in the world
you have an internet connection
3) Easy to use; interface is familiar to anyone who's used a browser

Disadvantages:
1) The developer can be autocratic and rubs some people the wrong way.
There used to be an open user forum, but now it's only available to
people who pay for annual support (about $160/yr).
2) There is no payroll module. However, since it's all open source
(mostly perl scripts), it would be possible to add one. I got an
estimate from a developer of $600 - $1000 to do the work. I'm about to
investigate using the sql interface package in R to do the job myself.

I'm using version 2.6.27. The change from 2.6.x to 2.8.x didn't go well
for me, and the interface changes messed up some of my regular
procedures, so I've stuck with the old version. There is also a fork
(http://www.ledgersmb.org/) started by some people who were displeased
with the direction the developer was taking the program. They bill it as
"Community Developed" and it is, indeed, much more open than sql-ledger.
I haven't used it myself -- I've already invested to much time in
sql-ledger to make the switch. Also, if you don't want to host your own
server, http://www.ledger123.com/ offers hosting service. They also have
enhanced the program themselves, and offer a free user discussion forum.
Thanks for suggestion.