[tlug] Printer driver in Linux (Oh, Brother?)

I have had very good luck with my home HP printer since tossing
the Canon into the sodai gomi because it wouldn't work properly
with Linux.

I am looking at a new printer for the office, and I like the specs
on the Brother MFC-6490CN. I have looked in the printer database
and have found a proprietary driver offered by Brother for the
MFC-6490CDW, which as far as I can tell is just an English version
of the MFC-6490CN.

As much as I would like to go for it, I would hate to buy it and
wish I had asked about anyone else's success with the driver. (The
hplip driver has always worked great for me on the HP printer.) I
might give up a little functionality and go with a new HP model
if I am not sure of the compatibility of the driver.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks,
Ralph