[tlug] Reading Hebrew on Ubuntu / Claws Mail

Using Xubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) which was a new install over the holidays when I installed a larger HDD. I have transferred all of my Documents and data files from Kubuntu and am using all Gnome programs wherever they are available. KDE just seemed to screw up too many things.

Onward ....

I have a short-term client in Israel who is sending me messages in English but prepared on a Hebrew based "computer" (I can't tell which type because there is no user agent listed in his headers). All headers and senders info are right justified and the body text is mostly left justified text.

When the mail comes to our company mail server (on Network Solutions) it is readable but once it arrives locally, it is being truncated and only that address block and last word of the current message remain. The message is completely visible on Network Solutions and my private Gmail account ... but my boss wants the mail coming to the company mailbox.

I'm assuming the problem is local and is either an Ubuntu or Claws Mail settings issue.

I have specified my usual mix of languages in Language Support (US+UK English, Japanese, Simplified+Traditional Chinese, German) and set the default encoding for UTF-8. I can read the sender's name in Hebrew in his mail address. After that, the mail is getting truncated and just isn't getting through.

Looking for options / solutions that won't mean making a lot of changes that will have to be changed back when this job is over. In WIN I can specify a subcategory for languages written R->L+T->B (called Advanced Text Services in XP). Is there something similar ... or different in 'Buntu flavors that I have missed?

--
CL